Thursday, April 14, 2011

Haircuts

Of all the experiences we have had here, some of my favorite are from the salon around the corner.  Last week, we took Rosetta and Celia to get haircuts from the woman who cut Chantelle's hair, Ana.  Both of them thought they were very cool, getting haircuts in Slovenia (especially Celia, as this was her first haircut).  The best part was how great all of the women there were.  Ana totally played up how big of a deal it was and the others gave the kiddos juice and cookies and candy while they waited.  I think the stylists all were genuinely amused by the scene.

Two days later, I stopped in with Sy to see when I could get a trim.  The place was empty, so Ana volunteered to babysit if I wanted to do it right away.  She got out colored pencils and paper and sat with Sy, drawing, teaching him colors in Slovenian, and feeding him piles of candy.  I don't think I've ever seen him so happy.  And why wouldn't he be?  The kid has become quite a flirt, so getting one-on-one attention from a young hair stylist with sweets is right up his alley.

No offense to the fellas at Schmidty's Barbers, but the two haircuts I've now gotten there from my "stylist", Lepa, are probably the best I've ever had.  Her parents immigrated here from Bosnia and she has to be one of the nicest people I've met.  It's a little different conversation with her than the normal barber shop banter (I don't think she's brought up Joe Mauer once).  And, she ends her haircuts with an "aromatic head message", which, I have to admit, makes me feel pretty cool.



1 comment:

  1. I am genuinely thrilled that you have all found a place to get a good haircut and have a great experience, but I have to say I'm jealous and I want my friend back in the hair salon she belongs at!!! I miss you, Chantelle!

    ReplyDelete