Monday, February 14, 2011

Church Bells

I realize I'm going to have to swallow some man points for putting this in writing, but... I have to admit that a surprisingly cool aspect of living in Old Town is the constant presence of church bells.  St. Nicholas Cathedral is just a block away from our apartment, so close that we can hear the bells ringing inside with the windows closed (in fact, we can see the bell tower from our front porch).  Every fifteen minutes, the bells chime, and every fifteen minutes all three of the kids get excited: "I hear church bells!"  I never thought about getting jazzed up by bells, but at mass time, noon, and six they ring with such vigor that it's tough not to.  We were out walking Saturday at noon and the bells actually chimed "Ode to Joy" (credit Chantelle for knowing what the tune was; I guessed incorrectly that it was a song played at out wedding).

As we're saying around here today, Vesel Valentina Dan!

One of the intricately carved entrances to the cathedral 

St. Nicholas bell tower from our apartment

No comments:

Post a Comment